‘An obvious target group for food service retailers is intensive motorists. These people have a high propensity for on-the-move consumption.’ -Mintel 2014
- Motorway travellers stop specifically to buy – guaranteed heavy footfall right at Point Of Sale
- They purchase spontaneously – heavy motorway users are 20% more likely than the national average to purchase impulsively (compared to heavy high street shoppers who are only 3% more likely than the national average to shop impulsively)
- They spend more – 63% higher spend than at independent convenience stores
- They are in the mood to snack – chocolate, sweets and fizzy drinks all aid the journey ahead!
- Audience numbers are growing – Motorway traffic has grown by 8.4% in the last decade where urban road traffic has decreased by 5%
Sources: TGI, 2014, Road Traffic Statistics 2012 Gov.uk, Department for Transport 2014, Nielsen 2013